Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fiction Books - fiction really?


Am Micheal yearning for my lost love and spending my days with my only other passion :Music.

Am Kiki, middle aged- mother of 3- have sacrificed my entire life for my husband - an academic.

Am Maraim- caught in the middle of the Taliban Regime-fighting to raise my son right.

Am Sal - travelling from the east coast to the west in US - drinking,having a gala time.

Am Eddie - trying desparately to be an actor in Mumbai.

I have always been immersed into the characters I read about and I ponder on the dilemmas faced by these characters. I have heard critisicm that reading and immersing oneself in the charcters hinders originality of thought and your thoughts tend to mirror that of the author's. Irrespective of whether I am original anymore, I enjoy being immersed in a world so different from mine!

But with each year I am more critical of the stuff I read and am now not so open to trying something new. I need to research on a book, read a couple of reviews, get a sense of the book and only then do I pick it up to read. My hubby tells me often that I have already decided on whether or not I like a book even before I read it, but in my defense I still do read it and it usually does affirm my instincts.

No comments: