Friday, July 4, 2014

Football Humour

I started watching football seriously this World Cup and am actually enjoying it. My hubby ,who is a minehouse of football related information, patiently explained to me the history of some of the players and educated me on the rules in football. One among them was the offside rule. He had explained this to me earlier and I always tend to forget it and find it difficult to spot the application of this rule in a football match without replays. After hours of animated discussion with mugs of beer, I think I finally understood the rule and came up with the definition which I intend to patent or publish in the Oxford dictionary to help beginners to understand the rule in one shot. I feel that the lack of a formal good definition made it difficult for me to follow the rule in one explanation.

So here is my definition for the offside rule in football : 

" At the time of the pass, the prospective receiver(s) who are ahead of the ball affecting the play, must have at least two people of the opponent team ahead of them ( in the direction of opponent's goal ) for the play to be valid."

Oxford dictionary printing people- you may use this with my blessings! :)

No comments: