Sunday, June 29, 2014

The 5 minute Hobbyist

I was watching BBC News yesterday and heard the term " weather hobbyist". I was intrigued and found out that a weather hobbyist , as the name suggests, studies the weather. I immediately turned to my husband and said " That sounds like fun. I wanna be a weather hobbyist". Pat came the reply " You can only be a 5 minute hobbyist! " Since the reply came almost instantly without any filters, I took it seriously and realised it's probably true. Any hobby interests me only for the first 5 minutes.

As a child I was interested shortly in clay modeling and pottery. I was intrigued enough to try it, but couldn't sustain the interest. The same was true with sports, dance ( this I flirted with for a few years before giving up ). Off late the interest is in Kathak and gardening. I am yet to join Kathak, but gardening I have tried and now all my plants have died. I intend to start afresh and hopefully it will not be a "5 minute hobby".

May be I could make it a fad to be a 5 minute hobbyist.After all some credit must be given to having the drive to even attempt your hand at different things even if they can't be sustained!


No comments: